Somatic Perspectives on Psychotherapy is about approaches to psychotherapy that pay attention to the body. This includes approaches that focus primarily on somatic processes; as well as approaches that integrate psychodynamic, relational, behavioral or experiential perspectives with somatic processes.
An underlying goal is to explore the convergence between contemporary psychotherapy and the bottom-up, process-oriented models of the human mind that are emerging from neuroscience and evolutionary psychology.
The activities of Somatic Perspectives include:
- conversations published on this website,
- discussions in our Linked In group.
Conversations hosted on this site:
This website features a series of half-hour conversations, mostly with clinicians, occasionally featuring leading thinkers in related fields. Stimulating ideas are discussed, as well as clinical examples, in a conversational manner that helps you get a sense of what it’s like to see things through each guest’s eyes.
The conversations are recorded as mp3 files (there are also, occasionally, videos). You can either listen to them on the site, or download them to play on any mp3 player. We also provide printable transcripts (generally available with a delay of a few weeks after a conversation is published).
- For the most recent additions, see top of right-hand column.
- For a list of all conversations, see “Alphabetical List” on top menu bar.
Our discussion group on Linked In:
Would you like to discuss with colleagues around the world your thoughts, findings or questions? The Somatic Perspectives on Psychotherapy group on Linked In is your virtual community, already shared by over 2,000 kindred spirits.
Glimpses of recent discussions:
- What does research say about the impact of 5 minutes of mindful centering prior to session?
- Reichian therapists are weighing in on the question of “when” and “how” to release blocked energy
- Is coherence and harmony your main “explicit” goal for a patient in psychotherapy? If not, what is it?
Join us at http://linkedin.somaticperspectives.com
(Note: you need to first register as a Linked In member).
- To receive notification of each new monthly conversation, please use the subscription form.
- You can also follow us on Facebook, at: facebook.SomaticPerspectives.com.
Somatic Perspectives on Psychotherapy is edited & hosted by Serge Prengel, LMHC (in private practice in New York City). Dr Herbert Grassmann (Nuremberg, Germany) is working on a series in German.
We welcome your comments on any specific conversation, as well as on the series itself. Please use the feedback form.